September 11, 2007

One morning, six years ago

I'm a loyal listener of KROQ's Kevin and Bean morning show and I awoke with Ralph Garmond's confused yet anxious voice on the radio. Something about a plane hitting a building in New York City. I rubbed my eyes and raised the volume on the radio. Then he said, "I can't believe it! Another plane has just hit the 2nd tower of the World Trade Center. I don't know what is going on and I can't explain it, but apparently another plane has hit the 2nd tower of the World Trade Center." I immediately turned on my TV and there it was; an image I'll never forget. Both twin towers were engulfed in flames. I couldn't understand what was going on until Diane Sawyer on Good Morning America said, "I believe we are under attack."

I never thought I would hear the U.S. is under attack. We're the freaking United States of America! We are too big and too strong to be under attack. And yet, there it was, the evidence was plastered all over our TV sets. I couldn't peel my eyes off the TV. It was time for me to get ready for work and yet I couldn't move. As I started to get ready for work, I heard screams and yells from the TV. I ran to see what happend and the first tower went down. Soon after that the second tower fell to the ground. Immediately I felt great sadness, a sadness I still feel today.

It makes me so mad when I see blog posts, signs, and/or articles that suggest that our President is responsible for 9/11. I can't believe that some people actually have the idea that our President woke up on day and said, I think the world trade center should go down and kill thousands of people. Thousands of people!

My family, Jason and I went to New York City in November of 2004, 4 years after 9/11. We all had mixed emotions about visiting Ground Zero. And I couldn't quite understand why they called it "Ground Zero" until I saw it for myself. Here's the thing; New York City is a very busy city. Cars are buzzing by, people are running, walking or strolling through the streets. An ambulance goes by, cars honk their horns. The city is loud. What's so erie about Ground Zero is that when you approach it, it's very silent. You feel an incredible sadness and emptiness. At that time, the buildings around it were blown out, some had windows, some did not. There's a big square in the middle, about 10-15 ft deep. That's where the towers once stood, where so many lives were lost.

I couldn't help it but cry. Cry for the workers that lost their lives, for the rescuers that couldn't escape, for mothers that lost their sons or daughters and for those women who were left behind pregnant, alone to raise their child.

So today, in memorance of 9/11, I pray that God gives the families that lost loved ones comfort throughout the years because even though it's been 6 years, it's still fresh in my mind and in my heart. It's true, I'll never forget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home